Bad stuff happens when you're sleep-deprived. Let's count the reasons YOU'VE gotta get more ZZZZZ's...
1. Extra Pounds. A 2006 study says that if you get less than 7 hours of sleep you might get chunky. Leptin, which suppresses appetite, is lowered and ghrelin, which stimulates appetite, gets a boost. Then when you do get up, you're apt to make bad food choices. Those with obstructive sleep apnea tend to eat a diet higher in all the bad things...especially women.
2. Your Heart. A 2003 study finds that heart attacks are 45% more likely in women who sleep 5 hours or fewer a night.
3. Blood Pressure. Again, obstructive sleep apnea has been associated with elevated daytime blood pressure.
4. Auto Accidents. A 2007 study tells us that 20% of serious car crashes involve a sleepy driver.
5. Your Brain. In 2011, scientists discovered that getting less that 6 to 8 hours of sleep a night can age your brain by 4 to 7 years.
6. You Don't Look So Good. Beauty sleep is no myth. According to a 2012 study, sleep-deprived subjects were judged 4% less attractive, 6% less healthy and 19% more tired-looking.
7. You're Not Quite As Nice. A 2011 study found that a lack of sleep increased deviant and unethical behavior, making people more rude and more likely to respond inappropriately in situations.
Anybody ready for a nap? DaveT