Just trying to save you a couple of bucks as you head out on your summer getaway.
The Society of Automotive Engineers tested the following on a Ford Explorer SUV and a Toyota Corolla compact. Here's what they found...
1. Don't use a rooftop cargo box. Huh? Yup. You heard right. When using one up top, the Explorer had an 8% decrease in gas mileage. The Corolla, 22%. The only thing that worked for either vehicle was rear-mounting the box on the BACK of the SUV. In that case, there was a negligible difference.
2. Don't drive aggressively. Speeding up and braking is obviously not a good idea but it'll also cost you. According to fueleconomy.com, that can give you 33% worse gas mileage.
3. Don't drive too fast. According to the latest research, with every 5 mph you drive above 50, that's the equivalent of spending 24 cents more per gallon of gas. At 80mph, the Corolla's gas mileage decreased by 46%, with the Explorer, 40%.
4. Don't drive with under-inflated tires. Tests say that should you allow your tires to deflate 50%, that can decrease your gas mileage 10%.
5. Don't drive with the windows down. Seems counterintuitive, doesn't it? But, no. Driving with the AC ON actually give you 4 to 8% BETTER gas mileage than driving HOT with the windows DOWN. Surprising but true!
Drive easy. Have a great trip! DaveT