9 surprising health benefits of that St. Patty's Day green beer you'll be enjoying...
1. Beer is high in silicon, an element associated with bone health. A 2009 study from Tufts found that older individuals who'd imbibed one or two glasses of beer had higher bone density.
2. A study in 2011 found that beer could help decrease the risk of developing a kidney stone.
3. A study of nearly 200,000 says that those who drink a pint of beer daily have a 31% reduced chance of heart disease.
4. Beer is made of barley. (Hey, that's in a food group!) Barley contains a type of soluble fiber called beta-glucans, which are credited with lowering cholesterol levels.
5. Research finds that drinking one beer a day decreases mental decline in older women by 20%.
6. Beer is a good source of B vitamins like folate, riboflavin, niacin and more. Just one 12-ounce beer contains 12.5% of your daily vitamin B6. B vitamins keeps your heart healthy.
7. An Israeli study found that drinking one beer a day was associated with a reduced risk of heart attack.
8. Wine is often lauded for being great for the heart, but beer is equally good! A Harvard study found that women aged 25-40 who drank beer moderately were less likely to develop high blood pressure than women who drank wine.
10. A cancer-preventing agent in beer called xanthohumol helps fight off cancer-causing enzymes.
So there. Drink Green Beer. Be Happy! Happy St. Patty's Day! DaveT